Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Comforting things...

Since I am continuing to move from place to place (a prize for the first person who can guess what state I am currently living in--and I do not mean state of mind), with no where to really call home, I have brought along a few things that remind me of home and give me comfort.
While I was packing, one of my best friend's suggested I only bring along 3 pairs of shoes to make it easy. I told her that was impossible, I love my shoes. I got her up to five, but I did not heed her advice and I packed 23 pairs of my favorite shoes. They had their very own suitcase.
For some that would be dumb, but for me they make me smile and feel a little bit like I am at home. I haven't worn them all and probably won't, but I have them just in case I need the pair that goes with that dress. I am no Imelda Marcos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imelda_Marcos), though my mother may joke, I have never had close to 2700 pairs of shoes.
My favorite pair of shoes even made it in...
(whoo look at those cankles)
I also brought some sentimental items. These are two of my favorite family photos. They were small and easy to pack, and give me a small sense of home.
These pictures were given to me by two close friends. One is a very special and sentimental picture and the other reminds me of Colorado.
Some other wonderful items that I am so glad that I packed are: my crock pot and electric skillet (we didn't have a kitchen for a month and still don't have an stove/oven), the wii (it was record heat and too hot to got outside, so we did wii dance), and some of the kids favorite board games and a few small and easy crafts! When you have some things to make it feel like home, it helps to make the 300 sq. ft. hotel room that is squishing in 6 people seem much more manageable. Of course we also have toys, books, blankets, etc. According to Mr. P I can pack the car next time we have to move...he thinks it is a little much, but since I am here with the kids all day...I think it is just perfect:)
What are some of your favorite things to travel with?

2 comments:

petiteblogger said...

You are so much more fashionable than I am! I miss you & your shoes & I love that they have their own suitcase. :)

Jen said...

my favorite!