Thursday, April 14, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things...da da da da da...and an easy and amazing craft project...

In light of being "Debbie Downer" and complaining about all of the things that I don't like in my life right now...I thought I would share a few of my favorite things instead!




So, I am loving living in the country! The girls came home with a huge fuzzy Caterpillar the other day, who has now made a cocoon. We love to listen to the coyotes howling and the owl hooting at night. And even though Abby finds some interesting things (i.e...fox tail below)...she loves all the space and it is so good for her to run.

All tucked in for bed...such sweet girls to cover her and give her a teddy.

We are beyond blessed to have the opportunity to live in our house.

Now onto my favorite room in the house, which has an amazing view of the mountains that I will miss in the city...
My bedroom! It has taken me a long time to finally find what I wanted. The final touch was the headboard, which I made for less than $60! Not only was it cheap, but super easy, and it looks great--if I do say so myself! I also made a new bed skirt for free!


These flower pins were the most expensive piece of the project. I ordered them on etsy from the Hush Blush store (www.etsy.com/people/HushBlush?ref=Is_profile). They are normally on headbands, but she can also make them into pins.
I got the wood at home depot (they cut it to size for me--I was nervous about asking, but they were so nice and helpful!). I got some black linen fabric at Joann's (on sale for 1/2 off).

I covered the boards with batting and then two layers of the black linen and stapled tight. Then I put a staple in the middle and pinned the flower to it and voila!
For the bed skirt I took our old stained white, plain and straight bed skirt and cut up the girls yellow Pottery Barn sailcloth curtains and sewed it into a nice pleated, full bed skirt. I had just enough fabric and I love the look!
I also found some great coordinating knobs (yellow flowers) for the nightstands at Anthropologie (my favorite store www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=670475 --of course I got them in yellow) I think it gave them a nice touch for only $12 total. I also took the doors off the nightstands for a brighter more open look.

And...just in case you thought I might be lonely while hubby is travelling, the girls are temporarily sharing a room with me. We even happened to have some black, white, and yellow coordinating bedding (good thing I am a pack rat: http://teenytime.blogspot.com/2010/08/confessions-of-pack-rat.html ).



Henrik actually likes the room so much that he locked himself in there twice yesterday.

I think it is every one's favorite room.


And now I'd better go because this is what happened while blogging this post:















Cereal and Barbies everywhere.Nothing like a banana in the printer...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Doesn't everyone keep their bananas in the printer? I love your headboards! You have to send me details on how you did it, I have been trying to figure out how to do something like that.

Hush Blush said...

CUTE! I love it! This is so funny... I remember you ordering the flowers and I was trying to figure out if you had three girls you were buying the pins for, or if they were gifts or for a wedding, and now I know! Your room is darling! I absolutely adore it!

Christy said...

Thank you for sharing favorites! LOVE the community bedroom. It's cute and functional! The girls always sleep with me when Tracy's our of town (1 week a month). We love that time together!