Thursday, January 19, 2012

Charmed...

In case you have come to think that my life is "charmed" or that my life is only full of fun and amazing day trips, I thought I should remind everyone that there is still plenty of everyday, mundane, and frustrating things that drive me crazy. I try not to complain and so I try to only post the fun and happy things, but today is just one of those days...even as I am typing this, Liam is having a screaming fit and kicking my bedroom wall because I won't give him chocolate milk at nap time.
*Henrik has flushed 4 rolls of toilet paper down the toilet in the last 24 hours...once causing an overflow that my husband wiped up with the nice towels (I am slightly germaphobic so this is gross).
*I made a huge banking error on our new checking account and had to scramble to fix it and try to catch the extra fees.
*My phone gave me directions that ended in the middle of the Hudson River.
*Henrik got into paint (kid's thank goodness), while I was making dinner, and was covered head to toe (I am not exaggerating).
*I accidentally locked my husband in the bedroom when I left the other night to go to a friend's house.
*Henrik dumped yogurt all over the floor, and cereal, and peaches, and...
*Dropped an antique glass bowl that shattered from the far end of the kitchen, through the hall, and all the way to the front door...impressive I know.
*I have been yelled at in a restaurant for a fit thrown by a small child (I'll let you guess which one)...a family restaurant, not some fancy-shmancy place...and sadly, this has happened more than once.
*I have cleaned more pee off my walls, toilet, and floors in my bathroom than I care to remember...suggestions for a certain 3 year old having a little trouble with his aim?
Notice one small child who continually appears and makes me question all of my skills as a parent...who is now chiming in with his own full blown temper tantrum.
So, even though I have been so many places and seen so many things this year, I still have many of the everyday struggles I have always had...on the days when I am lonely, or when I am grouchy, or when my husband is travelling so there is no "relief pitcher", or when I am tired beyond measure...I have to remember how truly blessed I am to have my four wonderful kids.
So, I guess in some ways, that is still being "charmed".

4 comments:

salli said...

I love this! You are so real about life. :) I'm still laughing that you locked your husband in the bedroom. I've heard of putting cheerios in the toilet to help with little boys' aim. They even sell little aim thingees to put in the toilet at Babies R Us. But I'm sure cheerios are cheaper.

Gaga Linda said...

This picture is priceless : ) I swear L. takes after two of the Big Boys in my life....

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing these "sweet" moments in life. Mommies across the country unite! Rally cry!

Andrea said...

I love this post. You sound like you surely have your hands full, it amazes me how you do it, and alone at times also. You are definitely an inspiration for me, no kidding. You make parenthood seem easy :).