Thursday, August 20, 2009

Just a ring?

I have been meaning to do this post for a while, but was spurred on by a conversation at Olivia's school yesterday. A woman asked me if I was due any day and I told her that I had three months left. That is when her friend turned to Olivia and asked her if she thought I had one baby or two in my tummy. Olivia looked at me very confused because she wasn't sure how to answer. She hesitantly said just one. The lady then said, "that's what your mom hopes at least". But that woman was wrong. My heart's desire and my hope is that there was still two. The women had no clue how their words had stung. When we got home I talked with Olivia to see what she thought about the conversation. She told me that we didn't have to tell everyone that there used to be two babies. I smiled and agreed and explained to her that sometimes it was hard for others to understand how sad we might feel about missing baby Lani. She also informed me that it was okay to tell people too. That night she prayed for both baby Lani and baby Zachariah and we talked about how God was holding them in Heaven.
So, here is the blog I have been meaning to post...for those of you who don't know, I'm big on symbolism (I did major in Literature)...so after my first miscarriage I wanted something special to remember baby Zachariah...so I designed a ring.
After baby Lani died I wanted to add to the ring to remember this baby as well. It was ironic that when they inscribed Zachariah's name in the ring it was not centered, but off to the side, so there was a perfect space to add Lani's name. The blue sapphires and aquamarines are for Zachariah, they are the birthstones of the months in which he died and should have been born (Sept. and Mar.). I added diamonds and citrine on the side for baby Lani (April and Nov.), there are two sets for Lani, since this baby would have been a twin. This ring is designed as a pinkie ring, since both babies were tiny just like a pinkie.
When I wear this ring I feel like they are remembered. Zachariah means "remembered by the Lord/the Lord remembers" and Lani, short for Hi'ilani, means "held in the arms of Heaven"
...my sweet babies I remember you and am glad that you are being held by arms with more love than even mine could give, I will see you in Heaven.

1 comment:

Jody Britton said...

Love. Love. Love it. What a sweet thing to do to always carry around the memory of your Glory Babies. God has given you much love, girlfriend .... and it is so obvious through ALL of your children!